Thursday, April 26, 2012

Comparison Trap

I know better than to go that way, but still . . .


I met Kathy Escobar on Sunday. She is a pastor, a blogger, an author, a mother and wife, a compassionate and beautiful human being. She was in town and shared some thoughts from her book, Down We Go, with our friends at EmDes (an emergent cohort.)

I wanted to get to know Kathy, learn as much as possible in a very short time, and hoped to begin a friendship. So I bought her book and asked her to have dinner after our group meeting. She was generous, curious, encouraging, open, wise, and a joy to be with! I asked her practical stuff, like how their church, The Refuge, does a different format for their gathering each week of the month (because I want Streams of Grace to do that). I asked her about personal stuff, like how it works for her to have a co-pastor who is not her husband, and a husband who is not a pastor (because I want that to work for us too).

Everything Kathy shared was real, and helpful. So I was hopeful and inspired. . . and terribly discouraged because I am just not like her.

Yes, I can be encouraged and frustrated at the same time. Because I get to know someone who is a little like me, which is rare and wonderful and gives me joy to know I'm not a complete anomaly in the Kingdom. But then I head down a dark alley of comparing myself to this person, and feeling like I am seriously deficient in several key areas.

I know better. I have been mugged in this dark alley before. I have repeatedly preached a sermon about how comparing ourselves to others leads to shame or pride and is a barrier to relationships. And yet my mind goes into that dangerous place where I see clearly all the qualities that I lack, and all the faults I have, compared to a distorted sense of Kathy Escobar's Mother-Teresa-compassion and successful-ministry-and-marriage. I feel disqualified to do what she does, and deficient in the ways she is gifted.

Which led me to questioning my calling (I can't plant a church), procrastinating on my ministry task for this week (prepare a sermon), a weird headache (maybe from coffee deprivation), and a bit of a shopping spree (bras and theology books).

The good news is, there's grace. I realized where I was heading and asked Jesus to get me out of there. I stopped focusing on what I don't have, and remembered the blessings I DO have. I stopped comparing myself to someone else, and asked Abba to remind me who I am, whose I am, and who I AM is.

I'm not Mother Teresa or Kathy Escobar, but I have the Same Holy Spirit in me that they do. And you do too. I have a unique and well-designed combination of gifts, experiences, qualities, and even deficiencies. And so do you. I can do good, create beauty, speak grace, be myself.

So I am practicing gratitude. I am receiving God's grace in whatever form it comes to me, learning to accept who I am and value another person, without comparison. I have hope and joy again.

Also, I have a new blog post and a sermon for this Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. I generally do not comment in blogs, I do not have the gift of writing or expressing myself very well so I tend to avoid it.
    I want to thank you for expressing what I feel to many times and I also want to encourage you to journey on to what God is calling you into.
    I have been privileged to Kathy's friend for 20 years and many times I have felt as you have. I believe this is not just a disservice to ourselves but to Kathy as well.
    I imagine this puts pressure on her to live less than she was intended to be. I believe only in viewing ourselves through God's lens that we can be free of the crippling "comparison" disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, it is a huge disservice. It is a relationship killer to compare ourselves! Partly because it sets the other person up to let us down when they are actually human, and not the ideal person we imagine them to be. (I cant have a relationship with an idol). And from what I know of Kathy from our one meeting is that the last thing she wants is to be idolized!
      You're Right on the solution as well. If I can accept that God isnt comparing me to anyone else, and accepts me how I am, I get free of that trap. Until the next time, anyway.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Ah yes....I know that trap, and I have been there a lot....too much...and I really like to hang out around the edge of it. I can wander further away when I'm 'busy with ministry' feeling I have really accomplished something, but sometimes, in the quiet times, or 'slow times,' I feel the all too familiar bottom of it....and I think I'm sitting square in the middle of it right now.

    So, before I tell you to stop it, I better take that same plank out of my eye, and just say I hope you find the ladder soon. :)

    ReplyDelete